Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Living conditions

So, it's not the Sheraton, but it's better than some have it here in Iraq. I live in a building with 12 rooms and bathrooms on both ends. I am lucky in that I don't have a roommate. The FOB we live on was originally the Olympic village when Iraq was trying to get the Olympics here back in the 70s. The American contractors working here in Iraq have made some great upgrades, and it isn't that bad of a place to live.


I had the satellite guy out here the other day installing my dish. He's a local guy that has curious methods in getting the dish to line up with the satellite. It involves banging on the dish until it's in the right position. Hey, at least I'm getting a signal. Unfortunately, I'm only getting Arabic stations. The movies are in English, but there are Arabic subtitles and Arabic commercials. I can actually say that I miss American commercials.


Some of the contractors live in little, one-person trailers. The advantage is that you have your own bathroom, and you don't have a roommate. However, you have little protection from mortars and rockets. Here is a comparison of the "trailer trash" vs the courtyard at my building. You decide.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I am impressed... Satelite TV. - Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhhhhhh...."trailer trash"???? Excuse me?! Pick your slurs carefully, G.I. :-) Mom

    ReplyDelete